Wednesday 2 October 2013

'Green Venice and Beaver !

Today we did manage to cycle some of the canal paths from Arcais to Coulon.  This is an area of wetland and Marshes established by French monks in the 19th Century and improved upon by the Dutch later.  It really is a lovely example of 'rustic'France.  We were thwarted twice in out attempts to get to Coulon, in each case we had cycled a few miles along the canalpath to find the road closed (and I do mean closed!) so we had to turn back.  However in one case we were able to cross to the other side of the canal by chain ferry (see Kate)



Imagine living here.....



This lane is between 2 mini canals



I have never eaten a fresh fig, let alone one I had just picked!  We saw these along the way and picked a few, they were lovely and juicy and sweet (we also baked some for later....mmmmmm!)



a typical house in Arçais




Never seen a French beaver before! (sorry, I just can't help but giggle when I say that word)




Oops, nearly forgot.....Yesterday Kate picked some tasty wild blackberries and made this yummy blackberry jam last night which we had for breakfast this morning! (and for a few weeks more I hope!)



Lastly, a new foon............I call this one 'Le Velo de Venice Verte'




No comments:

Post a Comment